Solved [Common Issue] Friends Can't Join/Port Forwarding Issues

Discussion in 'Server & Game Support' started by Ev1dentFir3, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Ev1dentFir3

Ev1dentFir3 Head Moderator Contributor

OK so I have seen a few (OK alot!) of server support threads with the same issues. Either players can't connect, or your having trouble opening your ports. Let me clear this up for most of you, as these 2 issues are actually most of the time one in the same.

When you open a port, you MUST open that port in all firewalls between you and the internet. The 2 types of firewalls that almost everyone has are Hardware Firewalls, and Software Firewalls. See the list below for info on how to tell what you have and don't have.

Common Firewalls include:

Hardware Firewalls
    Hardware firewalls are normally built into routers or modem/routers combo's, read below to find our how to tell what you have.

Modem/Router Combo - If you have just one box connecting your house to the internet then it's most likely a modem/router combo. You will port forward ports on this device.

Standalone Router - You normally have a standalone router only if you also have a standalone modem. Sometimes you can have a modem/router combo running in modem only mode, and an extra router that performs better. Either way, if you have 2 boxes that connect your house to the internet, the second one between you and the modem it your router. You will forward your ports on this device.

Standalone Firewalls - Odds are if your having trouble with port forwarding then you don't have this device, this is usually for the paranoid, or business professionals that needs full control of there traffic. If you do own one, then you should know how to use it or it's pointless. If you a bit younger and still live with your parents, and let's say one of them is an IT Guru, ask then for help with the ports.

A hardware firewall in most often accessed by typing it's ip address into the address bar of your favorite internet browser. Most firewalls will have a username and password, you will have to get this from the person that installed the device, if it wasn't you.

Software Firewalls
    A software firewall is exactly like it sounds, it's a piece of software that takes full control of what ports on your PC are allowed to be used by other programs. The most common one is the Windows Firewall. If you using a product like Norton 360, you will have a Norton Firewall under your security settings.

How to find my firewall?
    First start by checking the windows firewall. If it's disabled then it will tell you what program is replacing it. If that doesn't work then you will need to check your antivirus software security settings to see if it includes a firewall.
    Sometimes, let's say if your using a business computer you might have a standalone software firewall such as ZoneAlarm.

How to open ports on a software firewall?
    This process changes based on what software firewall you have, please refer to the support section of your firewalls website for more details. Fell free to post links in a comment to these support section for other users to see!

Now that you have done all of that, how can you check to see if your port is open?
    My favorite tool to do this is here: Pintest Port Scan
    You will select port range and enter in the server's ip, then enter in the ports (if your server's ip is 25555 set range from 25550-25560 so you can see the results in a better format)
    In the example below you will see 2 status, Filtered and Closed.
    Filtered - Means a firewall is blocking access
    Closed - Means port is available to be opened by a software and is not blocked (This is what your server port should have as a result.)

Code:
    Starting job... [2015-01-02 09:45:21]             Stay on this page for results!

Starting Nmap 6.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-01-02 11:45 EET
    Initiating Ping Scan at 11:45
    Scanning 75.76.215.974 [4 ports]
    Completed Ping Scan at 11:45, 0.17s elapsed (1 total hosts)
    Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 11:45
    Scanning cpe-75-76-215-974.nyc.res.rr.com (75.76.215.974) [11 ports]
    Completed SYN Stealth Scan at 11:45, 1.43s elapsed (11 total ports)

Nmap scan report for cpe-75-76-215-974.nyc.res.rr.com (75.76.215.974)
    Host is up (0.14s latency).

PORT STATE SERVICE
    25550/tcp filtered unknown
    25551/tcp filtered unknown
    25552/tcp filtered unknown
    25553/tcp filtered unknown
    25554/tcp closed unknown
    25555/tcp closed unknown
    25556/tcp closed unknown
    25557/tcp filtered unknown
    25558/tcp filtered unknown
    25559/tcp filtered unknown
    25560/tcp filtered unknown

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.75 seconds
    Raw packets sent: 23 (988B) | Rcvd: 8 (320B)

Job finished [2015-01-02 09:45:24]

If your server says closed on THIS TEST(others can be different) the firewall is NOT blocking it. If it says filtered, then a firewall is blocking it.

When you get a closed result, try launching your server again and having a friend connect.

Also note: Your players must connect to your internet address, it can be found here. http://www.whatismyip.com/

Hope this helps!
    Ev1

2. MiniMuleNZ

MiniMuleNZ Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Don't forget that 3.0 uses two ports either

3. Ev1dentFir3

Ev1dentFir3 Head Moderator Contributor

Thats a great point. I highly recommend not opening only 1 port anyway as some routers require a range of at least 3 or it doesn't play nice. My recommendation is to open ine port above and below your server port.

If your server is using port #25555 then steam queary will use port #25556. Steam queary is what the game uses to populate the server lists, and send server stats and status to websites like www.unturned-servers.net!

4. 1MP4CT

1MP4CT N00b

Hi guys, i port forwarded on 27015-27018 on both UDP and TCP but my friend isn't able to join my server, although other people can (not lan)! He was able to join me once or twice but he can't always do so, which some people can... How can one fix this?

PS: his error is: "Attempting connection" until 10x

Toxickun likes this.
  5. Toxickun

Toxickun N00b

Same. and we tried everything possible like checkout our foward ports and checking our firewall and even switching servers among friends n stuff. im not sure what to do at this point.

DatBoiKomi likes this.