How to install Unturned Custom maps on OSX/Mac/Apple (Easy guide)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by joinho, Jan 9, 2015.

1. joinho

joinho N00b+

Hey guys!

Here is a step-by-step tutorial on how to install Unturned Custom maps on OSX/Mac/Apple computers;

Step 1: Open steam and go to library.
    Step 2: Right click (ctrl + click for macbook users;)) on Unturned and select Properties.
    Step 3: Go to the local files tab and press "search in local files" A finder window will pop up.
    Step 4: Open the folder "Maps" here you will find all your current maps.
    Step 5: Download your Custom Map if you haven't already, make sure it is a folder
    (If it isn't a folder but a .zip or a .rar, use a program like Unzip or Unrarx to turn it into a folder!)
    Step 6: Open you downloaded folder, and check if there are files in there like level.dat and Thumbs.tb
    This step is just to make sure that you have the map itself, because in some cases you find inside the folder you download another folder with the Custom Map, and also an install guide.
    Step 7: Place the whole folder of the Custom Map inside the "Maps" (<- the folder you opened in steps 1 to 4)
    Step 8: Close the Finder-Window
    Step 9: Open steam and run Unturned

This is single player only, if you want to know how to do this with you server, just ask me and i'll make another Thread.

Have fun playing you Custom Map!

rang3r and Good Meme like this.
  2. Commander Phill

Commander Phill Forum Moderator Staff Member Moderator

would be nice for a server, please do a server tutorial..

3. joinho

joinho N00b+

Just open your Commands.dat which is inside the server folder (if you have a server of course :p) search for the word "map" and change the name behind this to the map you want to change it into. You must have the map inside you "maps" folder (Where to find this folder is in the tutorial)
    For example: I currently have the devtest map as my server map, so what I will find inside my Commands.dat is: map Devtest
    If I want to change this to Devtest 2 (Which I have installed) I just replace "Devtest" with "Devtest 2" (so: map Devtest 2)

4. xSwan

xSwan N00b

This will help people!

joinho likes this.
  5. Commander Phill

Commander Phill Forum Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thank you, this should help me get my servers maps to change, thank you my friend.

joinho likes this.
  6. joinho

joinho N00b+

Always happy to help!

7. The Chumpion

The Chumpion N00b

Hi there joinho. I tried doing this but there must have been an update or something because all I saw was:

Bundles (Folder)
    install_304930.vdf
    steam_appid.txt
    Unturned (Application)

When I sifted through Bundles there was a folder called Levels and so I tried installing a map (Eagle Island) by dragging the folder into Levels. Nothing happened though. Please help! Thanks

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  8. joinho

joinho N00b+

You're probably playing on a 2.0 version of Unturned. Unturned 2.0 doesn't support custom maps.

9. Good Meme

Good Meme Rookie+

Very nice, and I'm sure many will appreciate this in the long run, but maybe to liven it up some; perhaps post some pictures or maybe record a video of yourself doing these steps!

10. joinho

joinho N00b+

That's a good idea! I'll try to do it in the weekend :)

11. Drako987123

Drako987123 N00b

Do you know how to submit maps on a Mac?

12. DippyC

DippyC N00b

I don't have a maps folder

fierce_hen likes this.
  13. fierce_hen

fierce_hen N00b

i also don't i just have the Application and 2 files

-- Merged by a moderator (message in the right place this time)--

I don't have a maps folder and also it doesn't say search it says browse. I don't know if this is a problem with my steam account or my computer? can you please help me

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  14. BobaTheFett

BobaTheFett N00b

For some reason, when I go to single player and click on the custom map I want to play on and hit play, it goes to the loading screen and the loading bar loads all the way, but then unturned quits responding and freezes...:/ Idk if anyone else is having this problem, but if there is a fix I would be much appreciative to hear it!

15. MiniMuleNZ

MiniMuleNZ Moderator Staff Member Moderator

@DippyC, @fierce_hen this means you're still on the 2.2.5 version - through steam you can use the beta code OPERATIONMAPLELEAF to access the 3.X preview.

@BobaTheFett you will likely get a better response from posting to the support forum - I'm curious to get a hold of the log to see what the issue is

Cheers guys

16. JasonSPQR

JasonSPQR N00b

I've made a video tutorial about this: