Setting Up a DNS To Re-name Your IP [Unturned Server Hosting]

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Good Meme, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Good Meme

Good Meme Rookie+

Hey everyone, I figured as one of my first posts I'd share a little trick I learned a while back. I know many people that have wanted to host an Unturned Server, but are afraid of publicly posting their IP address because of what can happen if certain people get it. (Though this is not a way to actually hide your IP, it still makes it so that some random person doesn't have your IP address.) But you can use a Domain Name System to translate your IP address from numerical to alphabetical. So instead of giving your actual IP [Example: 45.233.343.90] you can give out something like [Example: genericipforanything.no-ip.biz], which means they won't have your IP address.

Here's how you can do it, first you'll need to find a free DNS service. I will be using No-Ip but if you can find another one, by all means use it.

First you will need to register for a free account on the website, I'm sure anyone could do that.
    Once you've logged in and possibly verified your e-mail address, you will see a page like this.

[​IMG]

Once there, click "Add A Host", the Icon I've marked with a red box.
    Once you've done that, you'll see a screen exactly like mine, minus the hostname.

[​IMG]

There you will have to generate your own hostname and choose and ending from the drop-down menu.
    There are many to choose from!

You can ignore the "Mail Options" box, since it isn't necessary. Once you're done, and happy with your hostname and domain, click "Add Host".

Now you can simply send people the link you generated instead of your IP Address!
    Hope this helped! Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. jinxjux

jinxjux Rookie

I feel it is important to note that changing your "ip" this method will not secure yourself from someone trying to figure out your real "ip". You are also still vunerable to DDOS or DOS attacks. A more secure option is to purchase a virtual private network that supports port fowarding. (VPN)

UrbanPretzel and Good Meme like this.
  3. Goodfeet

Goodfeet Forum-Manager Staff Member Forum Managers

Usefull. Stickied.

4. Good Meme

Good Meme Rookie+

Thanks mate, wasn't aware. Will be sure to change this.

5. jinxjux

jinxjux Rookie

No problem, glad I could help, if you need me to clarify or explain anything let me know.:)

6. jinxjux

jinxjux Rookie

This sums it up.

UnturnedMustFall likes this.
  7. Lets supposed i masked my id & got a new one for ex ( helloworld.ddns.net)
    i hosted a server & played for a while
    now i want my original Ip back . Can i get it back ?
    Pls help & Thx

8. jinxjux

jinxjux Rookie

assuming you are using No-Ip, just turn off the service, and use your regular ip addresss. you can do this from within your account contol panel. or on the program you installed with No-Ip

9. UrbanPretzel

UrbanPretzel N00b

Really help full, thanks :D

10. Kunii

Kunii N00b Staff Member

I really don't get why people feel more "secure" doing this.. I mean, you can just ping the name to get their ip.
    Like this:
    [​IMG]

11. Good Meme

Good Meme Rookie+

I adjusted the thread to point out that this wasn't to mask your IP, as I was wrong. Now it can simply make it easier to give the IP out.

12. x0Z3ro0x

x0Z3ro0x N00b

Using a DNS isn't to "Mask your IP". It is silly to think that. You use a DNS for dynamic IPs so you don't have to keep giving out your new IP to members. If you use a DNS server you can go into your dashboard and change your old IP to the new one. Then your members can connect again without learning a new IP. DNS doesn't protect anything, and was never meant to. You are thinking of VPN.

13. Good Meme

Good Meme Rookie+

Thanks for being the third person to point this out, almost in a row. But I am now aware. I renamed the thread and fixed the body of it accordingly.

14. x0Z3ro0x

x0Z3ro0x N00b

Yes, thank you for point out 3 times now you have fixed this. If you read my post you would see I was quoting someone else and wasn't even talking to you. As my previous post shows I was talking to Kunii since he made it a point to not understand why people feel more secure.

15. Good Meme

Good Meme Rookie+

Quoting them and saying the same thing everyone else has. How are you telling him? He surely already knows if he's pointing out out anyways.

Ah well. My apologies.

16. x0Z3ro0x

x0Z3ro0x N00b

He said it was silly to think DNS hides your IP he didn't know why everyone felt secure. So I relied to him that its not to make people feel secure it for Dynamic IP's so you dnt need to constantly give out your IP and that he was thinking of VPN. If he knew that already, it was silly of him to post what he did. I felt by him posting what he did, he believes people use DNS for security. I wanted to explain to him the real reason why people use them.

17. Kunii

Kunii N00b Staff Member

Well this turned into quite a long chain.. Anyways! I do know the difference between dns & a vpn. I just posted an example on how to do it, and how easy it is. Plus! A lot of people actually do think that giving out randomurl.xyz instead of their ip is more secure.

18. x0Z3ro0x

x0Z3ro0x N00b

Yes I agree with you, a lot of users do. In a way it is, because although it is SUPER easy to just ping the DNS Host / domain, not everyone knows how to do so. In that sense it is "more secure" because its not just out there for anyone to see. But you are right, in all senses you are no more secure because the users who don't even know how to ping, sure as hell don't know how to do anything with an IP address.