Massive Difficulty Spike?

Discussion in 'Questions' started by Twitchitarian, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Twitchitarian

Twitchitarian N00b

Hi! I am relatively new to Unturned. I've played around quite a bit on easy mode, so I thought I would try to take on normal. But normal mode is destroying me! It feels like there is a huge difficulty spike between easy and normal. I'm mostly having trouble in that all zombies (except the crawlers) can outrun me as long as I'm not running, and I just get owned through the massive loss of immunity. I'm playing on 3.17.10 (the latest version to the time of this post). Is there a bug? Am I doing something wrong? Am I just a pathetic noob? Any advice would be awesome!

2. PortalStream

PortalStream N00b+

I agree with you, as there does seem to be a big difficulty spike. Such as the addition of bleeding and bone fracturing and hunger and thirst depleting faster. I'd suppose it is trying to seem 'realistic' in the sense of that you can't outrun zombies when you first start off, but yes, it is difficult compared to Easy mode. A big tip I cannot stress enough however, is remember to upgrade your skills! The key 'U' is the default, or just click the tab from the inventory screen. This way, you are more fit to take on zombies. On the topic of tips, start off normal and hard modes by lurking in the hills and scavenging off of campsites and farms. As they contain weapons and fewer zombies than towns and cities.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Sh4ggy and Twitchitarian like this.
  3. Sh4ggy

Sh4ggy N00b+

It sounds like you're having some trouble, here's a few tips:

Get a silenced easy-to-find weapon, (Crossbow, Compound, Pistol with silencer, etc)

Start killing some zombies and upgrade Cardio and Exercise first to get some speed advantage over them.

After you gain a healthy amount of XP upgrade Immunity to be less susceptible to zomb attacks.

Eventually search for and find a Chainsaw or other melee weapon, but Chainsaw is best.

Chainsaw is loud but will help you slay zombies with ease. Meleeing zombies in the head will stun them.
    When Chainsaw is broken it won't stun zombies so make sure you repair it!

You can pm me or add me on steam if you have any more questions or thoughts to add
    Hope this helps you to slay some zombs!

edit: If you find you are dying from Radiation sickness, try to make more frequent trips to the hospital/doctor/practitioner's offices to load up on Anti-Rad munchables

4. Twitchitarian

Twitchitarian N00b

Hi PortalStream! Thanks for the response. Sorry I didn't notice until now. I have been playing on Normal mode now for a while and I think I understand its differences more. The big thing I should have done (and ultimately did) is start normal mode on a smaller map type, like PEI. Instead I kept trying on Russia, getting a little bit into it and then dying and ending up back on the beach at the bottom of the map with nothing around. Starting on a smaller map meant a death wasn't so devastating as I was always a five minute drive away from my gear, and the smaller area has helped me learn the mechanics of the new zombie types, etc. I still die much more than in easy, but now, because I have a better grasp of the systems, I die because I got lazy or cocky, not because I don't know what's going on. Thanks again for your response!

PortalStream likes this.
  5. Twitchitarian

Twitchitarian N00b

Thanks so much Shaggy! I've gotten the hand of normal difficulty a lot better lately and its from listening to advise like yours! Thanks so much for your input!

Sh4ggy likes this.
  6. PortalStream

PortalStream N00b+

I don't know whether to reply back to this or not, but glad I could help!

I should've included what you said about starting on PEI, but I didn't bring it into consideration because when I first started Unturned, Washington didn't even exist yet!

Be sure to get a hold of me if you need anything else, and have fun!

7. Commander Phill

Commander Phill Forum Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If you are looking to lower the amounts of zombies, please reference to advanced settings when selecting maps.