1. Hello there, Guest
    It's nice to see you around, please do remember that our Forum was made by Members of the Community and that our Forum Applications are only for the Forum Moderation position. As this is an Unofficial Community we don't have control over Unturned Servers, Steam Accounts, VAC Bans, etc.

Urban Jungle High Detail Custom Map

Discussion in 'User Creations' started by xsev3russnap3x, Nov 17, 2014.

1. xsev3russnap3x

xsev3russnap3x N00b+

Update 1/4/17
    So two years huh? Yeah I've been a bit busy. I'm only just now reopening my account today for the first time and realizing I absolutely let a lot of people down. Sorry I never managed to finish any of the 4 maps I promised (I think it was 4). So here's an update on what I've been up to.

Two years ago I was finding interest in 3D software map making and other such things. I didn't necessarily have the resources or the incentive to start anything, until Nelson released dev kit for Unturned 3.0 and suddenly I had everything I needed to go crazy with it. The Maps always went very well and stayed on schedule. Just one thing, I couldn't finish any of them. I would go through about 70% with plenty of great ideas on how to fill each area with what until I'd hit a total "writers block" for designers. But Then get New better Ideas that could Fit on a whole new Map and I could simply carry over the ideas I've had right? Never the case. So I ended up with 3 maps that have all roads all terrain, 70% of buildings placed and 70% of buildings filled to the brim with objects.

I always did find more interest in watching Nelsons streams of him making models for the game in Blender which eventually made me realize Its not the map building but rather finding new ways of building scenes with different combinations of models that interested me. I taught myself blender and I'm now using it for classes my senior year in high school as well as a game development internship with a small team of friends. I came back because I've got an interview for college courses coming up soon and needed pictures for a portfolio of what over the years sparked my interest in 3D modeling. It's a bit funny looking back on what I said. I wrote a bit too much as though it were for sure that I would have the map done and out soon.

Anyways I feel bad for not getting it out so Ill see what I can recover of them from when I did a PC rebuild and try to post them when I get time. Its a bit shocking even for me now looking back just how much of those maps were finished. They just need a dedicated person with some good ideas to fill in the rest of the models and place item pickups. If I'm not putting it up I'm just a really busy person lately. I'm literally doing this update sleep deprived at 1 in the morning and I gotta get up at 6 so just pester me some and Ill find the time to search out those map files.

-Aiden

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So I recently Started working with the 3.0 Map editor and previewing other players works. Needless to say I was very disappointed with the lack of detail most other maps i viewed involved. So to test this for myself I spent a couple days working as often as I could on my Map that i strive to make it feel different and always surprising. For example. Other maps I saw felt like you were a survivor the day after the zombie infection had hit your town. Nothing was destroyed, boarded up or different. (Which explains the cheery mood of PEI and Dev Test) I wanted a map that felt like you had been a survivor for over a year or two now and had just reached this destination after walking miles.

So here I would like to showcase some of the work I have done.

For starters, I split buildings up into 3 categories. The first is the buildings that were abandoned right as the apocalypse hit. These buildings are still stocked up with their original items, but the overall place has been overgrown. No boarding up and what not. Just time taking its toll.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Abandoned Cafe where I utilized the land formation to make it look like an earthquake caused rubble to flow into the window.
    [​IMG]
    Same earthquake has caused this Post office to sink into the ground.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    This abandoned fire station was ready for action until the zombie outbreak began. Some trash pileup was made outfront by locals but for the most part untouched. (going to add overgrowth once firetruck is added)
    [​IMG]
    This Gas station is another of the buildings abandoned after the outbreak.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here I put together a residential house that was either abandoned, or had no chance for defense. Overgrowth got to this building inside and out on only half the rooms. A couple rooms are clear and untouched.

The second set of buildings I involved are those of which have been inhabited by early survivors but defenses were only items found around or nearby. The survivors inside started to have trash pileup overtime so these building are somewhat overgrown, poorly barricaded and trashy.
    [​IMG]
    This diner was home to survivors who piled up the windows with items inside. The later earthquake filled the place with dirt .The other survivors now to drop off trash out front.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This bank was overgrown overtime but did hold survivors. The earthquake forced them to leave but their trash piles remain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The last of this set of buildings best represents the makeshift barricades part. The family would have taken all they had to defend against the zombies but it wasn't enough. Some overgrowth but not much. broken and piled up furniture. I hope to add some commercial buildings similar to this house soon.

The last of the three building types is the well defended and barricaded. Windows are protected so Furniture can stay put inside. Lots of boxes of supplies are scattered and trash is thrown outside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This Third House Lasted probably about 6 months before the wall had broken. The survivors inside piled their trash infront of the window. Finally the door broke down in the night taking the survivors inside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and finally the local survivors took control of both the police station and the clothes store. built a wall and some small towers. I have only finished the exterior of this part and plan to build rooms/ hallways inside with bunkbed area. Its up to the players whether or not they want to control this beastly base.

As for outside of towns my rule of complete detail still remains. So far I decided there must never be any flat areas, so after lots of experimentation I have created the style of land I want.
    [​IMG]
    Its difficult to capture this with a single frame but the forests are large and difficult to memorize. I myself got lost several times just looking around to test. the constantly changing hills, thick quantity of trees and tall grass everywhere gives the forests a good look that would be fun when creating a base. For example, bases on PEI are usually very easy to spot due to lack of cover. By chopping down a few trees in one of the large forests will open a field for base building with loads of cover by surrounding trees.

I Hope to soon add in full trails and pathways through the forests plus alot of random shacks and buildings scattered to keep those sticking to the forests happy. I'm also going to hold back on adding Cars, Zombies and items till after the map is completed. That way all parts of the map will be playable once i decide to upload it. For now I'm here looking for suggestions and would like to see some of the custom maps you guys have made. Feel free to post pictures of your maps. Overall I'll update the map and this Page at least every weekend. But I will check for comments every once in awhile. (Also guys, this is my first forum post and I'm sorry if I write way too much. I'm a bit ADD so when I enjoy working on something I always over do It and work hard)

--------------------------------------
    Edited to prevent loading spam
    ----------------------------------------

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Maniac., Uberfuhrer, Twinkie and 6 others like this.
  2. Hitchcock Holmes

Hitchcock Holmes Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Looking sweet!

Any chance you'll add a tunnel or attempt creating some sort of cave? (inhabitable rock formation or similar)

Just something I'd want to see, but do it your way. Really looking awesome so far.

3. xsev3russnap3x

xsev3russnap3x N00b+

I'll try looking into that. Might be a bit tough though.

So I spent some time on a bridge design. You guys like it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  4. CustomArmor

CustomArmor N00b

When Can We Play Your Map ? Looks Very Nice :)

5. Asher_

Asher_ Survivor

I've got to say, xsev3russnap3x, you've done an amazing job.

Seriously, I am overly impressed with this. It's a wonderful compilation of details, dedication, and quite realistic. The overgrowth of the vines/weeds into building, the pile-up of trash, as we use things/consume things in the "safety" of the base. Earthquakes that caused damage to stores, and the landscape.

Wonderful.

Welcome to the Unturned-Forum. Please, continue with this. It's beautiful :p

Hitchcock Holmes likes this.
  6. [S]emi[L]ovatic

[S]emi[L]ovatic Rookie

Am I necroposting? No?

I must say this looks amazing on paper. I would love to play on this map when it is available :)

7. Little Pixel

Little Pixel Contributor Contributor

I need new pants after looking at this map.

8. xsev3russnap3x

xsev3russnap3x N00b+

Sorry I haven't been able to keep this page super updated lately (been really busy) gonna have something big to show here soon though.

9. TheMicBrothers

TheMicBrothers N00b+

I love seeing a map like this. It really gives a dramatic feel of desertion and decay, it absolutely sets the mood. Props to you, great job!!

Not to mention how fun PvP looks like it would be in this map!

10. Commander Phill

Commander Phill Forum Moderator Staff Member Moderator

looking forward to playing this map! :)

11. BigDoeB

BigDoeB N00b

Would love to try this? How is the frame rate with all the detail?

12. xsev3russnap3x

xsev3russnap3x N00b+

[​IMG]After long period of time where i felt absolutely stuck as to what i wanted to add into the world I now have drawn up quite a few locations. (one of which includes a dense close range town with walls built up around by trash. Almost like Wood Bury from walking dead but with almost no streets) For now I spent time on an idea for a boardwalk town in the far corner of the map including hat kiosks, Bars, odd shops and such. I havnt been building a whole lot lately due to this quote "it's looking like the full Canada map will have ~200 new models for people making maps." -Nelson Sexton This is kind of pissing me off because some of the models he showed off and told about will really bring together some of my high density city locations. and add so much more diversity to each location. I want to hold back on building any large towns until Nelson stops hogging the models to himself and lets the community use them. Just wanted to make this quick update to let everybody know whats "the hold up" on Urban Jungle. As far as release date I have not the slightest clue how fast I can work once the 200 new models are added.
    Also GO HAWKS!!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  13. Commander Phill

well then, let us know when it is ready to play, ok?
    idea: A jungle with some ruined buildings of a once great city?

14. Sotaeko

Sotaeko Rookie

you mean like the lost city of atlantis?? lol

as for this map. LET ME PLAY lol it looks really good from the pictures:)

15. Commander Phill

similar but not the same (Atlantis was under-water).

16. Sotaeko

Sotaeko Rookie

yes Atlantis was underwater but same idea of the ancient city with ruined buildings, in this case forest~ so a..... Forest Fortress??

17. xsev3russnap3x

xsev3russnap3x N00b+

I can kind of see what your saying. Its a great idea i'm just gonna have to wait until the new models are in so i can experiment with that concept.

18. skillman187

skillman187 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

stop being better than me at untunred map things :(

19. xsev3russnap3x

xsev3russnap3x N00b+

[​IMG]
    "Which way, which way?"
    [​IMG]
    "Someone call the gardener!"

I have been utilizing any and all spare time I have on constructing a once interesting thought into a virtual reality. with the help of lots of music (to keep me awake) I have managed to build the bases full functionality and layout completely. With lots of expected questions on how this WAYYYY over powered base will work (Hint: it has some largely vulnerable points) I think its time to answer those with a video rather than a billion photos and an essays worth of typing. I want to have this town portion prepared for full showing by tomorrow night and do the video on Saturday. (btw todays Thursday I tend to post really late at night)

20. Commander Phill