1. Hello there, Guest
    It's nice to see you around, please do remember that our Forum was made by Members of the Community and that our Forum Applications are only for the Forum Moderation position. As this is an Unofficial Community we don't have control over Unturned Servers, Steam Accounts, VAC Bans, etc.

Urban Jungle High Detail Custom Map

Discussion in 'User Creations' started by xsev3russnap3x, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Gravitronx

Gravitronx N00b++

This looks amazing keep up the work

2. SquidKing

SquidKing N00b

Thread seems pretty dead, but I hope this project isn't. This map looks AMAZING and I can't wait to play it. Your most recent screenshots look like what I'd hope someone would do. Dense, vertical buildings, catwalks, makeshift housing, It all seems like my vision of an apocalyptic Detroit slum district. And plus, the density of buildings and trees looks like it'll greatly discourage sniping from a hill 3 miles away. It looks amazing, and I hope to see the finished product.

3. xsev3russnap3x

xsev3russnap3x N00b+

So I have good news and bad news. Bad news is flat out I deleted Urban Jungle )=. Good news is I did it to start out with a much larger building field. The video thing has been frustrating me for awhile so ill hold back on that but for now I would like to show my ideas for the new Urban Jungle.

As soon as all the new models have been released I went nuts placing stuff everywhere on flat ground just freaking out with joy on how much wider of a playing field allows. As for the Canada map, It honestly disappoints me very much. Not in the parts that aren't done but in how spaced out and unrealistic everything is. I don't feel like I'm exploring anywhere exciting or new, just barely filled building with the same copy paste items inside. This brings me to how the new map will look.

I began with the map layout on the largest map size I could, Its a giant Island but with surrounding islands and filled with rivers.
    [​IMG]
    I still wanted to integrate a location like no other, One with enough loot to keep a small army alive but with small amounts of protection. So with this in mind my greatest request is a dense city location turned apocalypse. Taking inspiration from NYCs Layout I came up with this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It is a bit rough right now as for I am only the first of 4 stages I set for my building. The first is to get a general layout of the build and make sure it will not only be player friendly but be visually stunning in the sense that your really in a dense city. The city so far is accessible by two bridges both with military outpost watching.
    [​IMG]
    (A bit of inspiration on that from the walking dead lol)
    and a bit more major locations to really make it feel like a city.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I'm soon to reach the second stage which is to fill each and every building to the brim with items to distinguish apartments from office buildings. Third step is to destroy the crap out of everything, Add trash piles, plane crashes, vines and put some survivor esc locations. Im thinking that once I finish ill create the city to be fully playable and release the map with spawns only in the city to see the communities opinion on it while I fill in all the other towns across the map. (and yes I will recreate the buildings I showed in my first pictures)

Thanks so much for sticking with me on this slow build. I only wish to have almost perfection for the community.

Uberfuhrer likes this.
  4. skillman187

skillman187 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I like the look with new models looks fancy I think it would be cool if you could add in small little town that isn't marked on the map and is very small and off to the outskirts call it "vergo" or "isanti" or something wired

5. xsev3russnap3x

xsev3russnap3x N00b+

This is an awesome idea! I'm thinking like a ghost town completely overgrown 100% and maybe a small campsite in the center? I'll have to bury the road in a way that makes it look like it was once part of the main highways. Thanks!

6. skillman187

skillman187 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

7. SquidKing

SquidKing N00b

From these screenshots, this heavily reminds me of a place you may want to use for inspiration. North of Ohio, on Lake Erie, there are a series of islands at about the halfway point from the US to Canada known as Put-In-Bay. I've been there on multiple occasions, and the surrounding islands of Kelly's Island and South Bass. Your screenshots look much like this area, and as for military, you could just say the Canadian military saw it as a holdout point due to the fact that it's only accessible by ferry. The islands have everything from suburbs to a more urban area near a boardwalk, to museums, to large historical boats from the war of 1812. Take this as you wish, but I feel that it would be a great place for a map.

8. Commander Phill

Commander Phill Forum Moderator Staff Member Moderator

This is getting better all the time!

9. xsev3russnap3x

xsev3russnap3x N00b+

I have been on overcoming the layout and flow of the map. while still in the first stage of building by just laying everything out and attempting to spread out building types and give each location an individual look and feel. So far With help of some comments here I have managed to build up some major locations and build roads between them that look the way they should.

First I got two ideas from comments, One being Vergo an abandoned town thats hard to find and has been abandoned long before the apoc. Thanks Skillman187!
    [​IMG]
    The second comment idea pushed me to completely rework the islands and do research on a location known as Put-In-Bay. I like to call It Out-Put-Bay. I haven't filled in Out-Put Bay in any way yet because it was only a recent addition. Thanks SquidKing!
    [​IMG]
    After that I just sorta started filling in piece by piece. Here's a unnamed town.
    [​IMG]
    Good sized neighborhood I designed to be very close together all around. This town is actually kinda scary during the night, even though their aren't any zombies added yet lol.
    [​IMG]
    Island in the center of the map and easy to access from any location around the map.(Most roads will lead them towards this island) I like to call it the city of traeh only because its shaped like a heart, I plan to build it up to be like woodbury from the walking dead and make it a PVE Area once Nelson adds this in. That way players can have a safe zone to trade and relax.
    [​IMG]
    The Mountain Highways were becoming very boring to drive along after some time testing so I needed locations for players to stop at and Scavenge or refuel. Here I give you A pit stop, A rock slide and an oil field.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some other locations such as Train Depot/Airport and Mili base island are in need of much construction but are in a good place and Im sure I want them in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I plan to add more buildings to many of these locations plus start filling them in. As soon as all the roads are built Ill sit down for a day and fill in as many buildings the way they would normally look, then the next two days covering them in vines and rubble. I still have allot to do and a good amount of space to work with new towns so let me know your ideas and Ill do my best to implement them.

Uberfuhrer likes this.
  10. Commander Phill

Perhaps a testing site for experimental weapons?

11. Commander Phill

12. xsev3russnap3x

xsev3russnap3x N00b+

[​IMG]
    Quick update, Heres the current Map. As you can see alot of open locations in the North and East sides. Still need a Farm esc town but for the most part its turning out alright.

Uberfuhrer likes this.
  13. Twinkie

Twinkie Moderator

just an idea, and I know how difficult it is, but maybe integrate some underground things, stairs, secret lab, etc. And you could even ask a developer to make a mod for your map for an elevator or something. It could be revolutionary. Sorry if this is a really lame comment, but i just thought it would be cool to share. :) Perhaps an entrance in the eco fuel place. Maybe take out one of the pumps and replace it with flames

14. Commander Phill

Some men just want to watch the world burn, isn't that right?

15. PotatoLord

PotatoLord Survivor++

are there any multiplayer servers on this?

16. Commander Phill

how about a sunken research boat from scorpion-7?
    shallow water and hole in hull?

17. Commander Phill

farms in the north west island with a hidden bunker?

Is there a downloadable folder for this?

18. darthelmo1

darthelmo1 N00b

So I'm not sure if this is still in the works or what your plan is as far as where this map is going, but I have a couple of points to make.

The first- in the most recent map you showed us, the main urban area is in the bottom-left hand corner of the map. I honestly don't think this is a good idea. From the experience I've had with PvP, the most urban area should be a centralized location.

The entire reason we now have the PEI v2 map in Unturned 3.0 is because people despised the Canada map. While it was large and had some creative locations, one of the major issues was that most of the cities were all on the east side of the map, and there were more rural/military/science locations as you moved west. Not to help this was that the spawn points were all on the east side as well, meaning people would scavenge what they could from the cities and then move west to make bases. This was all fine and good until anybody died, and the cycle would restart. There was no element of randomness to it. It was too routine.

Second point- I would add many more small suburban towns. This seems to have a lot of long roads to a few big places which means long traveling time but less combat and less zombie areas. While I understand that this may be exactly the feel you're going for (regarding what you mentioned about the difference between day-after and year-after apocalypse maps), and how it may be more aesthetically pleasing, it is not a very good core mechanic. If I played this map in singleplayer, I would want more places to check out. In multiplayer, I would want more places to be able to meet up with friends.

As for the rest of the map, it looks absolutely great. The level of detail in your work is absolutely unmatched with anything I've seen on the forums. I tried making a New York map a while back actually, but could never do it because I just didn't have enough time or skill. It certainly seems like you are very good at this and should absolutely continue with this map.

You should probably make some sort of dropbox folder so that we (the people on the forums) can beta test this map as it moves forward. Just place the map files in there, and add the new ones when you have a new version. Don't feel afraid to put it out there unfinished. I'm sure I, along with other people in the community, would love to help you by looking at what's already in the map and giving you advice on what to have.

Regardless, thank you very much for contributing this map to the community, and please reply when you get the chance. :D